I’ve compiled a bibliography primarily for educators. Start with the titles in red. Leave a comment if you think I’ve missed a title that deserves to be here.
- Bauer, Susan Wise. The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had.
- Gamble, Richard (editor), The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What It Means to Be An Educated Human Being.
- Hirsh, E. D. Hirsh. The Making of Americans: Democracy and Our Schools.
- Hunter, James Davison. The Death of Character: Moral Education in an Age Without Good or Evil.
- Postman, Neil. The End of Education: Redefining the Value of School.
- Ravitch, Diane. The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education.
- Bercier, Barry. The Skies of Babylon: Diversity, Nihilism and the American University.
- Bloom, Allan. The Closing of the American Mind: How Higher Education Has Failed Democracy and Impoverished the Souls of Today’s Students.
- Delbanco, Andrew. College: What It Was, Is, and Should Be.
- Ferrall, Victor. Liberal Arts at the Brink.
- Fish, Stanley. Save the World On Your Own Time.
- Hauerwas, Stanley. The State of the University: American Knowledge and the Knowledge of God.
- Kronman, Anthony T. Education’s End: Why Our Colleges and Universities Have Given Up on the Meaning of Life.
- Lewis, Harry R. Excellence Without a Soul: How a Great University Forgot Education.
- Marsden, George. The Soul of the American University: From Protestant Establishment to Established Nonbelief.
- Menand, Louis. The Marketplace of Ideas: Reform and Resistance in the American University.
- Newman, John Henry. The Idea of a University.
- Nussbaum, Martha C. Cultivating Humanity: A Classical Defense of Reform in Liberal Education.
- Reuben, Julie A. The Making of the Modern University: Intellectual Transformation and the Marginalization of Morality.
- Sommerville, C. John. The Decline of the Secular University.
- Sommerville, C. John. Religious Ideas for Secular Universities.
- Caldecott, Stratford. Beauty for Truth’s Sake: On the Re-enchantment of Education.
- Davis, Jeffry C. & Philip G. Ryken (editors), Liberal Arts for the Christian Life.
- Littlejohn, Robert & Charles T. Evans. Wisdom and Eloquence: A Christian Paradigm for Classical Learning.
- Noll, Mark A. & James Turner, The Future of Christian Learning: An Evangelical and Catholic Dialogue.
- Plantinga, Cornelius. Engaging God’s World: A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning, and Living.
- Spears, Paul D. & Steven R. Loomis, Education for Human Flourishing: A Christian Perspective.
- Smith, James K. A. Desiring the Kingdom: Worship, Worldview, and Cultural Formation.
- Wilson, Douglas. The Case for Classical Christian Education.
- Wolterstorff, Nicholas. Educating for Life: Reflections on Christian Teaching and Learning.
Christian Higher Education
- Benne, Robert. Quality with Soul: How Six Premier Colleges and Universities Keep Faith with their Religious Traditions.
- Dockery, David S. Renewing Minds: Serving Church and Society Through Christian Higher Education.
- Holmes, Arthur F. The Idea of a Christian College.
- Holmes, Arthur F. Building the Christian Academy.
- Klassen, Norman & Jens Zimmermann. The Passionate Intellect: Incarnational Humanism and the Future of University Education.
- Litfin, Duane. Conceiving the Christian College.
- MacIntyre, Alasdair. God, Philosophy, Universities: A Selective History of the Catholic Philosophical Tradition.
- Marsden, George. The Outrageous Idea of Christian Scholarship.
- Schwehn, Mark R. Exiles from Eden: Religion and the Academic Vocation in America.
- Wolterstorff, Nicholas. Educating for Shalom: Essays on Christian Higher Education.
Habits of Mind
- Blamires, Harry. The Christian Mind: How Should a Christian Think?
- Green, Bradley G. The Gospel and the Mind: Recovering and Shaping the Intellectual Life.
- McGrath, Alister. The Passionate Intellect: Christian Faith and the Discipleship of the Mind.
- Moreland, J. P. Love Your God with All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul.
- Noll, Mark A. The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind.
- Noll, Mark A. Jesus Christ and the Life of the Mind.
- Piper, John. Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God.
- Platinga, Alvin & Nicholas Wolterstorff (editors). Faith and Rationality.
- Sire, James W. Habits of the Mind: Intellectual Life as a Christian Calling.
- Wood, W. Jay. Epistemology: Becoming Intellectually Virtuous.
- Bertrand, J. Mark. (Re)Thinking Worldview: Learning to Think, Live and Speak in this World.
- Naugle, David K. Worldview: The History of a Concept.
- Moreland, J. P. & William Lane Craig, Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview.
- Sire, James W. Naming the Elephant: Worldview as a Concept.
- Adler, Mortimer & Charles VanDoren, How to Read a Book.
- Guinness, Os & Louise Cowan (editors), Invitation to the Classics: A Guide to Books You’ve Always Wanted to Read.
- Hirsch, E. D. The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know.
- Jacobs, Alan. A Theology of Reading: The Hermeneutics of Love.
- Jacobs, Alan. The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction.
- Reinke, Tony. Lit! A Christian Guide to Reading.
- Reynolds, John Mark (editor). The Great Books Reader: Excerpts and Essays on the Most Influential Books in Western Civilization.
- Sire, James W. How to Read Slowly.
- Gregory, John Milton. The Seven Laws of Teaching.
- Highet, Gilbert. The Art of Teaching.
- Palmer, Parker J. The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher’s Life.
- Postman, Neil & Charles Weingartner, Teaching as a Subversive Activity.
- Schwehn, Mark R. (ed.). Everyone a Teacher.
- Clark, Roy Peter. Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer.
- Crider, Scott F. The Office of Assertion: An Art of Rhetoric for the Academic Essay.
- Farnsworth, Ward. Farnsworth’s Classical English Rhetoric.
- Fish, Stanley. How to Write a Sentence: And How to Read One.
- Knowles, Elizabeth. How to Read a Word.
- McEntyre, Marilyn Chandler. Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies.
- Thomas, Francis-Noël & Mark Turner, Clear and Simple as the Truth: Writing Classic Prose.
- Ellis, John M. Literature Lost: Social Agendas and the Corruption of the Humanities.
- Harpham, Geoffrey Galt. The Humanities and the Dream of America.
- Nussbaum, Martha C. Not for Profit: Why Democracy Needs the Humanities.
Adolescents and Emerging Adults
- Bauerlein, Mark. The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don’t Trust Anyone Under 30).
- Clark, Chap. Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today’s Teenagers.
- Clydesdale, Tim. The First Year Out: Understanding American Teens After High School.
- Dean, Kenda Creasy. Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers is Telling the American Church.
- Hymowitz, Kay . Ready or Not: What Happens When We Treat Children as Small Adults.
- Milner, Murray. Freaks, Geeks, and Cool Kids: American Teenagers, Schools, and the Culture of Consumption.
- Postman, Neil. The Disappearance of Childhood.
- Smith, Christian. Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers.
- Smith, Christian. Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults.
- Smith, Christian. Lost in Transition: The Dark Side of Emerging Adulthood.